Friday, September 21, 2007

A Gay Ward?

Lately I've been wishing for a gay ward.

In my gay ward, you would all be members. The married MOM Mohos (with wives and kids, of course), the celibate eunuch Mohos. And then there would be the excommunicated same-sex partnered Mohos with testimonies. (So far just me. Anyone else out there?)

If there are enlightend Mohets, they're welcome too. And I bet I could even convince my partner to attend a ward like that.

But you wouldn't have to worry about saying certain unmentionables over the pulpit in Sacrament meeting. There would be no holds barred in Priesthood Meeting, Relief Society and Sunday School discussions. If something is troubling us, if we were struggling with something, we would talk about it, instead of holding it inside and feeling all alone and achy and broken in silence. When one of us is struggling with doubt, others would be there to reassure.

No one would sit in Church alone. And every Sunday, free hugs for whoever needs them!

10 comments:

playasinmar said...

Yes, please.

Craig said...

Sounds great - if only...

chedner said...

Hmm... isn't that what Church is supposed to be like, anyway?

chedner said...

P.S. When I'm rich (which I plan on being when my software company takes off), I actually have plans for something very similar to this -- though, not a separate Church, just a better support system than the Church can/is willing to provide... so, honestly, pray that my software company takes off!!!

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

It ain't that I don't like the current ward I'm in. And I've got the best bishop in the world. And part of me really, really appreciates having a ward full of straight people (and me, and the other Mohos I don't know about yet because they're too afraid), and old people and young people and single people and married people and people of different races and with different talents, where people are all different and learn cool things from each other.

Chedner, I suppose you're right. That is what the Church is supposed to be like all the time and everywhere. I guess I go to Church every Sunday in the faith -- no, the knowledge -- that some day we will be there.

But in the meantime, sometimes, I think of you all, and I think it sure would be cool if somewhere over the rainbow I could have a ward, and you, and you, and you were there.

Beck said...

One of these days I'm going to find myself in Minneapolis and look up your ward and sneak up on you in the back row and surprise you and throw my arms around you!

I know that's been done by others to Kengo, which just testifies to the fact that it is more than a dream... it's a real possibility.

Now, if I can only come up with a reason to find myself in Minneapolis... :)

Chris said...

I've left the LDS Church pretty decisively, but I'd come to this ward once in awhile, I think.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what a "Mohet" is, but I think I am one...

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Beck - That would make me SO happy!

Chris - We'll have to get to work organizing that gay ward then... :)

Bill - You are, but not just a Mormon heterosexual, one of the enlightened ones. I'd love to see you surprise me at Church one of these days too...!

Ron S said...

There are some of us right now looking for such a ward and a friendly bishop where several of us could attend in a group now and then. Is there anyone who knows of such a ward in the Provo or SLC general area??? This would probably involve some Mohets who are parents of MOHOs. Anyone want to join us???