Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Signed Up For This

Some days things just don't go right.

The spouse gets edgy about something. The kid cries. There's an argument and suddenly blame is going all around. You go to work and nobody is cooperating. You can't get work done because you keep getting interrupted and they end up making you late on the one day when you really need to be home on time, because there are fires there that need tending.

But the thing is, I signed up for this.

In the pre-mortal existence, I was given the option of coming down here, and obviously I accepted. And after I arrived, I made the choices that brought me to this moment, this configuration of family and work and circumstances that seems to be colliding. And this is ultimately more or less just a test to see how well I can do with this, with all these choices. So when things go wrong, it can mean only one thing. I still have things I need to learn. No point getting upset or feeling sorry for myself. That just digs me in deeper anyway. It doesn't solve anything.

Just take a deep breath and ask yourself again, What can you do to move forward and make this right? Back-up (repent) if you need to.

And remind yourself, John, You signed up for this.

2 comments:

tiselfar said...

love ya JGW. glad you signed up.

John Gustav-Wrathall said...

Thanks, Betty. I love you too!