Friday, February 18, 2011

I Want to Sing

And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises... (Mormon 7: 7)

Everyone connected to the performance community in the Twin Cities knows Leslie Ball. She wrote a beautiful little song called "91 Wonders" that makes me cry every time I listen to it...

100 feet of snow
One dozen lilac days all in a row
One little rush of green that has to go
Can't travel the big bright blue
Wide awake in a dream come true

Rain washing off your tears
Wind whispering a secret in your ears
Moon smiling down to keep away your fears
To teach you to tell the truth
To lead you back to your youth

91 wonders
Shining in the air
91 wonders
Everywhere

91 wonders
Shimmer in the air
91 wonders
Everywhere

Some people never breathe
Some people never listen to the trees
Some people never get up off their knees
They don't even know to pray
Instead they just crawl away

91 wonders
Sparkle in the air
91 wonders
Everywhere

Lately, I've taken to finishing my morning scripture reading by singing a hymn. Somehow the vibration in my vocal chords dislodges stuff I need to get up out of my heart and into the air...

Starting with the new year, Göran and I decided to start singing with the Twin Cities Community Gospel Choir again. Tomorrow is my first rehearsal, and I can't wait...

Tonight I have family home evening with my Minnesota gay brothers, my favorite part of which has become the harmonies when we sing...

My brother Reuben asked me Sunday if I would sing a duet in Church with him. I wonder how that testimony will sound...

I am so thankful for the singing in my life. It's my reminder that the best prayers are about gratitude...

No comments: